Today, the growth of Los Cabos and Baja California Sur demand medical services essential not only to those living in this state, but also for the thousands of tourists who visit Los Cabos every year.
Recently medical services have been added to different hospitals and clinics, both public and private, being Blue Net HOSPITALS the private hospital in which besides investing in the expansion of both infrastructure and medical capacity, achieved one of its most important goals; an INTENSIVE CARE UNIT that allows us to resolve locally cases of extreme complexity and retrieve patient’s health, reinstating them to their adequate quality of life.
With an avant-garde vision, technology, dedicated professionals and human capability, minute by minute prompt attention has been dedicated to seriously ill patients who require close monitoring and specialized procedures focused on early diagnosis and treatment of potential secondary complications to their disease.
The experience and professionalism of the medical staff at this unit, under the leadership of Dr. Daniel Velazquez, Director Of Intensive Care, Certified by the Mexican Board of Critical Medicine and Intensive Care with a wide-ranging of experience in research and teaching, and with the support of top grade equipment and technology, thus achieving the best resources and ability to provide the best results.
Our ICU is equipped with:
- MINDRAY Monitors with invasive and non-invasive measurement capabilities of central venous pressure, blood pressure, oximetry and pulmonary capillary pressure.
- Multicare advanced VIRTUOSO therapy mattress w/anti bedsore dynamic air multimodal tubular cells.
- Noninvasive Rainbow Radical 7 Monitors (oxygen saturation, total hemoglobin variability index plethysmography, methemoglobin, carboxyhemoglobin).
- Drager Evita 4 with option volume ventilation and pressure assist.
- Weinmann MEDUMAT Transport ventilator for controlled and assisted noninvasive ventilation.
- GEM Premier 3000 blood gas analyzer.
- Welch Allyn defibrillator with AED functions and external pacemaker.
- Full service laboratory, x-ray, multicut CT Scan, 24/7
- Functionally designed ICU unit with natural light, which prevents disorientation of traditional intensive therapies.
According to statistics provided by BNH, the main causes of admission to ICU are:
- Patients with neurological disorders (stroke, severe head trauma, cerebral edema) 3.Patients with cardiovascular disease (SICA, arrhythmias, pulmonary thromboembolism, hypertensive emergency)
- Patients with respiratory failure (pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, bronchial hyperreactivity)
- Postoperative (abdominal sepsis, severe abdominal trauma) 6. Hematologic: states of hemorrhagic shock, coagulopathy
Hospitals and health care providers differ significantly in the quality of care and experience provided to a patient. It is necessary to understand how clinical quality is measured and recorded, particularly when dealing with patients with comorbidity or complex medical conditions. At BNH we measure the clinical performance of our units based on international standards and predictive models of mortality (SAPS 3, SOFA, APACHE).
Sharing real statistics*, during 2012 BNH treated 33 cases in the Intensive Care Unit. Considering the critical conditions of each patient who underwent same predictive models previously mentioned, the result is an average expected mortality of 70%, ie, 23 patients could have died, while the actual mortality rate was 6 % (only 2 patients), ie, we reverse the expected mortality rate with a positive impact of 91.3%. Invariably, during all processes we monitor quality targets during critical patient care:
- Pneumonia associated with mechanical ventilation
- Bacteremia related to central venous catheter
- Prophylaxis of gastrointestinal bleeding in patients on mechanical ventilation
- Prevention of thromboembolic disease
- Unplanned extubation
- Re intubation
- Accidental falls
It is important to know the performance of an Intensive Care Unit. In Mexico, there are very few units that publish the results of the continuous monitoring of mortality. At Blue Net HOSPITALS we recognize that this information is outstanding in quality measurement and patient safety. It is further recommended to not only visit the facilities and view the medical capacity of hospitals and health care providers, but to dig a little deeper in terms of:
- The application of standards of care in high-risk procedures, allowing the consumer to choose a hospital with the best results and track record
- Number of Intensivists, ie, Doctors with special training in Critical Care Medicine
- Compliance with protocols and policies to reduce medical errors
- Having the right infrastructure and ancillary services (complete laboratory services and imaging: X-ray, CT, etc.)
- Having operating rooms equipped and staffed 24 hours a day
- Be certain that the hospital has intensive care ambulances for cases requiring transport of a patient from home, hotel or public areas to the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital
The above and more are available at Blue Net HOSPITALS. This is our present condition; patients are addressed and resolve their medical needs. These are clear indicators that our quality initiatives have a positive impact on our patients. Our commitment is to continue developing projects that add quality medical services, on a daily basis for the benefit of the community of Los Cabos and Baja California Sur.
* Information taken from actual case records from Blue Net Hospitals. This and more information available to interested parties who wish to know more about our medical capabilities and infrastructure.